Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Food Log: November 10th, 2010

Posted on/at 11:11 PM by Adam Kunzler

The mental\emotional "stuff" is definitely making its way to the surface, for both of us. Nothing to crazy yet and still easy to deal with. I think Rachael has it worse than me. I am very familiar with the struggle though. This isn't my first attempt. I'm so grateful to not be doing this alone this time. It "should" make getting through some of these temptations and struggles a little easier. 

One of the things we're struggling with is this coming Thanksgiving. We'll be going out of town to my parents and won't be in our home where we have control of what's in the fridge, the cabinets and on the counters. I think it'll be tough, but only as tough as we make it. I plan on staying RAW throughout the whole little vacation. I will encourage Rachael to do the same. My mom is a culinary chef and makes some good food. She also has a Thanksgiving tradition we call Pie-fest. She makes a bunch of pies and then after dinner (awhile after dinner) we gorge on all sorts of pies. I'm hoping to contribute a RAW pie or two this year so that we can still be a part of it. Maybe we'll even make a few dishes to go along with the main dinner. Perhaps if we change how we're looking at this, we can be the ones tempting them with RAW food and that this is an opportunity to show them that it's okay to break from traditional SAD food, even on a holiday, and embrace foods that are full of energy and light. :0)

We just ordered an Excalibur dehydrator. We're both pretty excited about it getting here. We've been using a cheap dehydrator for awhile. It works, but not nearly as good as we like. Besides, it's the cylinder shaped one with a hold down the middle. Makes it hard to make crackers, fruit leather and other dehydrated foods.  We're going to go crazy with the new one!! If it keeps us excited for an extra few weeks to get us through SAD withdrawals...then the money we spent on it was very well spent. I am grateful that we were in a position to be able to buy a good quality one. So very grateful.

Here's what I had today:
  • Quart of Cucumber juice
  • Giant Spinach Salad with Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Olives and Cayenne
  • Cup of Red Grapes
  • Bowl of Guacamole (Avocado, Garlic, Green Onion, Cayenne, Lime, Tomato, Cilantro, Pink Salt)
I'm enjoying the simple foods and recipes. We really haven't made anything to complex and gourmet...other than maybe the Kale Chips, but even those are pretty simple and basic. I like keeping it simple. That's part of the reason why RAW foods appeal to me so much. It's simple, but can be as complex as you want it to be. I love RAW food!!

0 comments: